Mónica Sánchez is a member of the Firm. She frequently represents clients in the Puerto Rico Supreme Court, Puerto Rico Court of Appeals, Puerto Rico State Court, Federal District Court, U.S. Court of Appeals, U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistric Litigation and the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Puerto Rico. She regularly assists clients with state and federal litigation matters in class actions and regular lawsuits involving torts, breach of contract, creditor’s rights, and estate-planning and has substantial court, bench and jury trial experience.
Mónica has more than 15 years being a litigator managing all federal litigation cases in the Firm. Other areas of practice include commercial litigation, civil rights, cases involving the Property Registry, taxation, collections, contracts, labor and employment law, preliminary and permanent injunctions, and displacements (land takings) exercised by the state, among others.
Having previously served as an Attorney for the Federal Litigations Division in the Puerto Rico Department of Justice and later for one of Puerto Rico’s top class action private practice attorney, she has extensive experience with high-profile cases and has acted as a liaison between the Puerto Rico Department of Justice and external governmental instrumentalities and agencies. Additionally, Mónica has ample experience as a notary in property purchase and sale deeds, mortgage closings as well as general notarial work, such as drafting and preparation of public deeds, and affidavits; legal property closings pre-approvals for banks; and drafting of bank and corporate regulations manuals. Mónica has also assisted in the drafting of master deeds for new property developments, an area little known by the majority of local counsels.
A former Department of Justice attorney, Mónica is both aggressive and creative in solving problems, while maintaining the highest of ethical standards. She puts the client’s interest first, bringing the same enthusiasm to the “nth” meeting with client as brought in the first meeting, and has gained clients’ trust for successfully dealing with extraordinarily difficult client litigation matters.
- Recently reversed in the Puerto Rico Court of Appeals a $1.3M judgment against a financial institution.
- Represented one of the nation’s top four largest banks in adversary proceedings at the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Puerto Rico.
- Lead Counsel representing the PR Department of Treasury in million dollar lawsuits to claim taxes to international companies.
- Represented multiple international financial institutions as a defendant in million dollar damages lawsuits and bench trials.
- Represented one of the nation’s top four largest banks in a federal class action.
- Interamerican University of Puerto Rico, B.A. in Science – Computer Information Systems.
- Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico, School of Law, J.D.
- Puerto Rico State Bar.
- United States District Court for the District of Puerto Rico.
- United States Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit.
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Puerto Rico.
- Notary Public.