LITIGATION & BANKRUPTCY
We represent banks and financial institutions, broker-dealers, investment funds, trust companies, publicly held companies, credit card issuers, mortgage lenders and servicers, corporations and individuals in a wide array of significant commercial litigation matters before Puerto Rico and U.S. Federal courts, administrative agencies, self-regulatory organizations, and in Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) proceedings. Our litigation attorneys have considerable courtroom experience, and our practice includes a former Puerto Rico Department of Justice’s Federal Litigations Division attorney.
With a pragmatic approach and unyielding devotion to client advocacy, our Firm is frequently sought to manage and advise on our clients’ most complex and seemingly insurmountable issues. We have demonstrated that our litigation practice understands our clients’ businesses, and have specially helped during moments of crisis.
Our litigation attorneys also have significant experience in business disputes ranging from internal corporate controversies, shareholder disputes and employment matters, to complex contract, trust & estates, construction, consumer finance, foreclosures and real estate litigation issues.
SOME OF OUR LITIGATION AND BANKRUPTCY SPECIALTY AREAS AND SERVICES INCLUDE:
- Commercial litigation and breach of contract claims before civil courts covering pre-trial negotiations, documentation and preparation for trial, summary judgement motions, trial, appeals and enforcement proceedings.
- Banking and securities litigation.
- Labor and employment matters, including contentious and non-contentious employment matters relating to day-to-day business issues in the corporate sector.
- Real Estate, foreclosures and creditor’s rights.
- Alternative dispute resolution involving non-court arbitration, mediation and negotiation.
- Adversary proceedings at the U.S. Federal Bankruptcy Court.
- Represent different entities of one of the US’ top four largest banking organizations, as both, plaintiff and defendant, obtaining favorable judgments for our client in the Puerto Rico Court, as well as appeals in the Puerto Rico Court of Appeals and Puerto Rico Supreme Court.
- Defense in federal class actions or significant single plaintiff suits, often in issues related to mortgage, credit card, consumer credit, deposit accounts, fair lending, unfair or deceptive practices, among other matters.
- Represent client in adversary proceedings at the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Puerto Rico.
- Represent multiple international financial institutions as defendants in million dollar damages lawsuits and bench trials.